POWERS OF National Open University
It shall be the duty of the Eduversity to take all such steps as it may think fit for ensuring planned and co-ordinated development of education and for the determination and maintenance of standards for education and for the purposes of performing its functions.
The Eduversity may -
(a) Undertake surveys and studies relating to various aspects of education and publish the result thereof;
(b) Make recommendations to the Central and State Government, Universities, University Grants Commission and recognised institutions in the matter of preparation of suitable plans and programmes in the field of education;
(c) Co-ordinate and monitor education and its development in the country.
(d) Lay down norms for any specified category of courses or trainings in education, including the minimum eligibility criteria for admission thereof, and the method of selection of candidates, duration of the course, course contents and mode of curriculum;
(e) Lay down guidelines for compliance by recognised institutions, for starting new courses or training, and for providing physical and instructional facilities, staffing pattern and staff qualification;
(f) Lay down standards in respect of examinations leading to educational qualifications, criteria for admission to such examinations and schemes of courses or training;
(g) Lay down guidelines regarding tuition fees and other fees chargeable by recognised institutions;
(h) Promote and conduct innovation and research in various areas of education and disseminate the results thereof;
(i) Examine and review periodically the implementation of the norms, guidelines and standards laid down by the Eduversity, and to suitably advise the recognised institution;
(j) Evolve suitable performance appraisal system, norms and mechanism for enforcing accountability on recognised institutions;
(k) Formulate schemes for various courses education and identify recognised institutions and set up new institutions for development programmes;
(l) Take all necessary steps to prevent commercialisation of education; and
(1) For the purpose of ascertaining whether the recognised institutions are functioning in accordance with the provision of this Act, the Eduversity may cause inspection of any such institution, to be made by such person as it may direct, and in such manner as may be prescribed.
(2) The Eduversity shall communicate to the institution the date on which inspection under sub-section (1) is to be made and the institution shall be entitled to be associated with the inspection in such manner as may be prescribed.
(3) The Eduversity shall communicate to the said institution, its views in regard to the results of any such inspection and may, after ascertaining the opinion of that institution, recommend to that institution the action to be taken as a result of such inspection.
(4) All communications to the institution under this section shall be made to the executive authority thereof, and the executive authority of the institution shall report to the Eduversity the action, if any, which is proposed to be taken for the purpose of implementing any such recommendation as is referred to in sub-section (3).
AFFILIATING BODY TO GRANT AFFILIATION AFTER RECOGNITION OR PERMISSION BY THE Eduversity
Notwithstanding anything contained in any other law for the time being in force, no examining body shall, on or after the appointed day,–
(a) grant affiliation, whether provisional or otherwise, to any institution; or
(b) hold examination, whether provisional or otherwise, for a course or training conducted by a recognised institution,
CONTRAVENTION OF PROVISIONS OF THE ACT AND CONSEQUENCES THEREOF
(1) Where the Regional Committee is, on its own motion or on any representation received from any person, satisfied that a recognised institution has contravened any of the provisions of this Act, or the rules, regulations, orders made or issued thereunder, or any condition subject to which recognition under sub-section (3) of section 14 or permission under sub-section (3) of section 15 was granted, it may withdraw recognition of such recognised institution, for reasons to be recorded in writing:
Provided that no such order against the recognised institution shall be passed unless a reasonable opportunity of making representation against the proposed order has been given to such recognised institution:
Provided further that the order withdrawing or refusing recognition passed by the Committee shall come into force only with effect from the end of the academic session next following the date of communication of such order.
(a) The cancellation shall be communicated to the recognised institution concerned, once the recognition of a recognised institution is withdrawn under sub-section (1), such institution shall discontinue the course or training, and the concerned authority or the examining body shall cancel affiliation of the institution in accordance with the order passed under sub-section (1), with effect from the end of the academic session next following the date of communication of the said order.